About Us
Our Story

J.F. Collins and Son Funeral Home opened in Acworth in 1886. The business actually began as Daniel Collins Chair Factory in 1870, where caskets were built and sold from a room attached to the store. When Daniel Collins died, his son, James F. Collins, took over the business. James F. Collins ran the funeral home until he died in 1924 and his son, Ernest Lemon Collins, took over the business.
Ernest L. Collins graduated from Southern College of Embalming in 1908. He managed the business until he died. In 1958 Ernest Collins' daughter, Lola (Collins) Swanson, became the owner. Lola graduated from Gupton-Jones College of Embalming in 1937, as did her husband, Hartley D. Swanson. Known as Miss Lola, she was the first female Licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer in the State of Georgia.
The first funeral home building was located in an old store establishment on Northside Drive in Acworth. The present location is at 4947 North Main Street. After the death of Mr. Swanson, the funeral home was operated by their grandson, Hartley Gray. Hartley Gray sold the business to its present owner, Chuck Johnson (former owner of Hay-Gantt Funeral Home and Johnson Ambulance Service in Marietta, GA) in May of 2000.
Our Marietta location opened in 2010. We are proud to extend the 150+ year heritage of Collins to Marietta. The new facility on Piedmont Road offers a large chapel and an on site crematory.
In 2022, we merged with Bellamy Funeral Home in Hiram to combine their tradition of excellent service with ours. We are committed to extending the excellence we are known for to Hiram and the surrounding areas.
We are still privately owned and operated by lifelong residents and employees of our community.



